Yuzu Fondant with Yuzu Soy Caramel
Recipe by Susie @Gourmetglow : Find her on social – Instagram
How to make this divine Yuzu Fondant with Yuzu Soy Caramel:
Intense chocolate, fresh yuzu and salty soy, all with that unadulterated ooooooze. There are no words to describe how delicious this is.
100g Unsalted Butter, softened
100g Icing Sugar
2 Large Eggs, plus 2 Egg Yolks
100g Dark Chocolate, melted
2 Yuzu, zested
25g Plain Flour
15g Cocoa Powder, plus extra for dusting
Yuzu Soy Caramel:
100g Caster Sugar
200ml Double Cream
40ml Yuzu Soy
20ml Yuzu Juice
150g Unsalted Butter, softened.
- Begin with the Fondants. Generously butter 4 Dariole moulds and liberally sprinkle with cocoa powder. Tip out the excess and chill in the fridge while you make the batter.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until soft and fluffy, beat in the eggs and yolks. The mixture will split but that is fine.
- Mix in the melted chocolate until smooth then finally add the flour, cocoa and yuzu zest. Mix until combined then divide between your moulds. Chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge.
- Meanwhile make the caramel. In a frying pan, sprinkle over some of the sugar in a single layer and heat over a medium heat. As the sugar begins to melt in patches, sprinkle over a little more to cover the patches, as if you were filling the gaps. This method of making a direct caramel ensures that you stay in control. Do not at any point stir the caramel or it will crystallise, just swirl to mix.
- Once all the sugar has melted, increase the heat until it forms a deep amber in colour. Whisk in the cream, soy and yuzu juice. it will splutter and the caramel will seize on the whisk but keep whisking and it will all come back.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter bit by bit until you have a silky caramel. Set aside.
- When ready, preheat the oven 180C fan. Cook the fondants for 10-12 minutes on the middle shelf, mine take exactly 11 minutes. Allow to cool for 1 minute before turning onto a plate.
- Rewarm the caramel if necessary and serve straight away. The unbaked fondants will keep in the fridge for 3 days so bake as required. The caramel can be reheated over a medium heat in a saucepan.
Cakes and recipe - @gourmetglow Suze Morrison