• 1 Whole cauliflower
Per cauliflower steak:
• 1tbsp tonkatsu sauce
• 1tsp sesame oil
• Togarashi Shichimi, to taste
1. Thickly cut the whole cauliflower in to slices – as the ends will break away into individual florets, you should be able to take 3 or 4 steaks from the middle of the cauliflower depending on the size and how thick you cut them.
2. (Don’t throw away the ends of the cauliflower – either grind them down for cauliflower rice, or blanch them and freeze for later)
3. Combine the marinade ingredients, making sure you have enough for your number of steaks, and pour over the cauliflower. Be sure the flip them over so they are evenly coated. Tip: use a pastry brush to coat all the nooks and crannies.
4. Lightly brush some oil over a griddle pan on a medium heat (or on a hot barbecue) and cook the steaks for 5-6 mins on each side. Be careful not to move them once they are in place.
These make excellent vegan burgers but are also delicious when served with a salad.
See how to make the delicious Watercress, Wasabi & Yuzu Aioli as shown in the photo!